Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Come As You Are (Kaia)

It seems kind of like a poem as it rhymes quite a bit, and it’s pretty repetitive. It’s a lot calmer compared to the last song (Smells like teen spirit)
I also think it’s shorter than the last song (Smells like teen spirit)

The start of the video (first shot) of a gun is kind of unsettling, also the whole demeanor of the video makes me kind of uncomfortable (so did the last one). I also think that even though this song is calmer than smells like teen spirit the vibe of the video is kind of the same in some parts.

I wonder why they put the gun and money in the water, and I also wonder why water is such a big part of this video. I wonder what makes them choose the shots that they want and the lighting too.

Overall it seems very poetic in the way it’s structured, there’s rhyming and repetitive, etc. It’s a lot calmer compared to Smells like teen spirit in the sense of the melody, the volume, and the overall way he sings it. I also think that it’s shorter than the last song I listened to - Smells like teen spirit - and yet it didn’t seem too short. I liked this song a lot ( a bit better than Smells like teen spirit).

2 comments:

  1. The gun is unsettling I agree, especially after we learned what happened to him to end his life. What exactly in the video makes you uncomfortable and in what ways? Can you think of specific images?

    You said the "vibe" is the same? How so? What images or feelings do they share?

    I like your questions about the use of water? Do you know what water is sometimes used to symbolize? Can you take some guesses? Do some research?

    I like that you noticed some poetic devices like rhyme and repetition. I wonder how these tools, might help you in your song writing. Might be cool to use what you have learned from these two songs and try to write a Nirvana like song? Use these two and others as mentor texts.

    Curious, since you like this one cuz it's calmer, what you will think about the acoustic version. I challenge you to learn the opening riff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand better about the gun now as you mentioned him ending his life, maybe this was for-shadowing in a way?

    When I say the 'vibe' is the same I mean the music is similar in the beat and parts of the tempo. Also, some of the lighting is similar in the way that it's shining in his face so you can't really see it clearly in either of the video.

    I feel like the water could symbolise feeling like you're drowning or being dragged underwater. Those are just guesses but I will research more and comment on this comment.

    I feel like it could be a bit easier if you write it as a poem before hand, it could make it more artsy, you could write it in a way your wouldn't have before, or it could just be easier.

    I would love to hear the acoustic version, though I like the original a lot it would be fun to hear!

    ReplyDelete